How are you? Good I hope.
I just wanted to take the time to properly introduce myself as well as let you know a few things about me, the person behind this blog.
My name is Dara Michele. I am a writer, poet, and aspiring mental health professional. I have no idea what I want to do, but I know that mental health is the career path that I want to go down. As a black woman, I believe that there is a great need for black women to occupy spaces to better promote mental health. At the moment, I am thinking of psychiatry as a future profession. Whatever God wants me to do in the field, I pray that I do it well and I have great success with it.
I have been writing my whole life. I would spend my days as a child writing books underneath my kitchen table. I would draw the pictures as my Mother would write down the things that I told her I wanted to say. Somewhere in our basement are a bunch of little stories that I wrote. I got into poetry when I was around the age of thirteen (back when I thought every line had to rhyme with each other…ah, young, naive girl). Some of the things that I like to talk about are feminist/womanist issues, politics, current events, and of course psychology. Anything that is happening in the black community, I try to give my take on it. A huge goal of mine would be to have my work in The New Yorker, The New York Times, and other publications one day (I would love to live in New York eventually).
I hope that the things that I write on here not only give people a different perspective, but I hope that I am able to inspire as well. That is one of the biggest things that I want to do when it comes to my purpose. I want to be able to share my testimony one day and help someone else who is going through a tough time. My goal in life is to help others, no matter how cliche that sounds.
Here are some other facts about me:
- my favorite color is burgundy
- I have been to France and Spain. Paris is so beautiful in the spring!
- I am a Gemini (don’t hate on me) and an astrology enthusiast
- my favorite food are french fries
- I am a struggling vegan
- I am from Chicago, Illinois (born and raised)
- I love 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s music. Those are the best eras musically.
- My favorite holiday is a tie between Halloween and Christmas
- My favorite movie is Shutter Island
- My style icon is Fran Fine from The Nanny
- I love Eartha Kitt and Josephine Baker (I was always told that I was very theatrical like they were)
- I love to travel and want to visit Ghana, South Africa, Germany, Italy, Bali, Denmark, and a few other places
- My favorite singer is Billie Holiday
- I am addicted to Kombucha (Kevita’s Pineapple Peach Master Brew Kombucha is the best!)
- I want to learn how to do aerial silks one day